Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The One Where Hrin Role Plays Mum

I know, I know... it does seem rather daunting and confusing as to what this whole ‘Babysit the children!’ quest is about. So I’ve written up on my past experience there so that you have a rough idea about what this is all about.

A good friend of mine is a teacher at Katong Special School (for kids with special needs) and when she asked if I was free to help out, I was more than happy to. Basically, it was an outing to Bedok Interchange to teach the kids how to do the usual, mundane stuff that we take for granted - things like taking a bus, buying a fast-food meal, borrowing library books. Gee I'll never look at mundane everyday events the same way again man.

Anyway, the game plan was simple:

1)Each kid to get a partner
2)Teacher or volunteer to accompany each team
3)Take bus 32
4)Go to Bedok interchange
5)Buy a meal at Burger King
6)Go to the library
















"Hrin, I will assign Sarah and Sofiya to you ok?" Miss Tina, the form teacher says to me.

"Oh ok," I say as I look around for the two kids. My eyes light up the minute I see them. Two adorable little girls. I grin at them as they look curiously at me.

"Hi Sofiya and Sarah! Today you'll be my two little 'Hrin Juniors' ok?" I say to them sweetly. They look at me blankly, smiling back in that angelic, cutesy way that just makes me want to squeeeeeeze them so hard.
















So anyway, we teach them how to cross roads safely, use the EZ-Link card to take Bus 32 and then we go to Burger King to have lunch.
















And then... off to the library!
















"Hrin, later at the library, bring the girls to get some girly books and read it to them," Tina tells me.

I stare at her blankly. Girly books? I was considering introducing them to the world of Granado Espada. Shucks. Guess I need to shelf my plans temporarily until OBT. Girly books girly books... let me see... Oooo!! I see Vogue and Cleo magazines. Girls read that kind of stuff right? But the girls don't seem interested as I point excitedly to the magazines that I am dying to flip through myself. Sarah picks up a book entitled something like 'I am Velvety Rabbit.'

So I sit my two lovelies on my lap and start reading a story about how Velvety rabbit had some misadventures. Gosh… I have more exciting stories to tell about my GE characters. Nevertheless, the story seems exciting enough for the two girls. And this outing is about their enjoyment. Not mine.

The kids are rather well-behaved today and Tina rewards them by bringing them for ice-cream at Ronald Macdonald's Bedok Princess Villa.
















I burst out laughing when I caught sight of Sarah. Her mouth and cheeks were full of ice-cream! I smiled as I endearingly wiped all the ice-cream off her face.
















The day drew to an end as we walked over to the 32 bus stand at Bedok interchange. So we take the bus together and Tina takes some pictures of me and the girls.
















As the girls and I were posing for the camera and laughing together, something that Tina had said to me earlier came to mind. She had told me that some of these kids were thoroughly neglected or abandoned by their parents who were busy with their own lives. I felt a stab of pain and grief in my heart as I held these girls in my arms. And a new sense of determination grew in my heart.

It will be my lifelong quest to champion the weak and defend the innocent. After all, I am Hrin. Hear me rawr! ;)

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, it's good to see that you're trying to get your fellow GE players to help out with community work in the real world. Keep up the good work!

Twoface said...

Goodjob Hrin! I had a smile on my face the entire time I read your blog about taking the time to help your friend as well as her students. I only wish that more ppl in our world would take the time and effort even if just once, to help those who need it. I wish there was some way I could assist or join you on your "quest," but alas, im not from SG. =( I wish you the best of luck finding more ppl with the same good intensions, keep up the good work! Btw, you are smileing literally "ear to ear" in the pictures of you with Sofiya and Sarah.. Your eye's and smile tell the obvious tale, you are genuinely happy. ^_^

Hrin said...

Awww... thanks you guys. Even though you can't be here physically, but your words of encouragement and mental support are all I need >.<

me said...

yeah~
i didnt imagine a CM will step out in our mmmorpg realm.
its nice to know there are people out there who love to do these things
hey hrin-sama!
just do what do you love the most and dont forget to have fun doing with it!

kudos to our lovely hrin~

Anonymous said...

I am only 12 yrs old? ><'~!

Anonymous said...

Hi hrin, i happen to pass by GE website and find that the event u held is meaningful. I m now finding ppl to ask them to join me in the outing to do good deeds. But ur event/outing is at tuesday so mostly all my friend r still studying and i can understand why u dun want saturday/sunday cause its too crowded and u dun want risk of the kids getting lost. Hrin i can say u r good at thinking of the welfare of the kids. Though i may not be studying now but i will still come and join in the event and i will play granado espada when it came out for u r a good GM. Hope to see u at the event there Hrin. But i may send in my particulars on 20+ march but latest will be 25th cause i need time to ask my friend at msn whether they will be coming a not. My full name is Wilson Heng Wei Sen. Thnx Hrin for this wonder event. Cya soon :)

Hrin said...

@me & @Wilson: Thanks so much for all your kind words. I feel... unworthy. :)

@anonymous LOL sweetie. Maybe when you are older :)

@Wilson: Aight. I'll be waiting for that email of yours. My email addy is: community@ge.iahgames.com Give me your mobile number as well okie?

Anonymous said...

Hey i have writen at my blog to ask my other friends to come with me too.Hey basically these person at katong special school is not old ppl or adult teenagers. They r young age 6-10 years kids at katong special school and they have special needs in which their mundane(daily) life which we find it normal is hard. Somehow dont u find its great if ur presence can make them feel very happy. :) thats the reason why i m going. U may find that its stupid to do these kind of stupid thing but see it in another view. Some of these kids were thoroughly neglected or abandoned by their parents who were busy with their own lives. I feel like going because its like doing good deeds in which u will feel good too. But sad to say the event is at tuesday 27th march 11am to 6pm so meaning its school day and many of my ex-classmate wont be going. Basically, it was an outing to Bedok Interchange to teach the kids how to do the usual, mundane stuff that we take for granted - things like taking a bus, buying a fast-food meal, borrowing library books. 1)Each kid to get a partner 2)Teacher or volunteer to accompany each team 3)Take Bus 32 4)Go to Bedok Interchange 5) Buy a meal at burger king 6)Go to the library. Thats roughly the main agenda for the outing/event. I happen to pass by Granado Espada website and see upon this event and i find that its meaningful so i suggest u guys out there will come with me to join Hrin at the event. The more the merrier. ^^

- Nick Lee - said...

hi Hrin, i'm not gd with children. as such, i really don't think i can lead the children. but i can be ur photographer of the day if u wan! heh, but dun blame me if the pics turn out ugly k? =P
i do community service pretty often too, but i usually help other ppl (adults n elderly) out.
if u do require my assistance as photographer pls do let me know k? drop me a mail at derelictz@yahoo.com.sg! it'd also be gd if u can actually find a DSLR to lend me for the outing itself, cos my cam is not exactly of professional lvl.

Anonymous said...

hello Hrin, I have registered for the 'babysitting event' to face the lvl100 cutesy monsters. D= Just kidding. Honestly speaking I dun have experience babysitting, but I will try to learn to do it on the spot. Maybe I will bribe the kids with candies to behave well in the library. >=D

Tuesday sure is not a good day to gather people for community service, but I am a freeloader so its fine for me. >_> Also I find Katong Special School has some distance away from the nearest MRT station, maybe you could supply a guide on how to reach there via MRT and Bus?

Anonymous said...

>< Why on tuesday?! oh well I can't go.

Hrin said...

@fizban: Wow it'll be great if you could be our photographer! I'll bring my Canon IXUS digital camera. Drop me an email at community@ge.iahgames.com yeah? I'll keep you updated on where to meet etc

@garlic: the outing needs to be during school hours you see. :) Yup, we'll be meeting at Bedok Interchange. I'll drop you guys an email and maybe an SMS over the weekend to keep you in the loop on where and what time to meet exactly.

Thanks to all those who have signed up so far! The kids will appreciate it! :)

Anonymous said...

well mother nature gave us 2 hands.. u could hold 2 kids at katong i mean if u bring 2 kids per person u could eventually bring the whole class or school out, i mean good thing come in pairs right? and i dont think any kid would wanna left behind.. unless there is some people with good intention that will continue those good deeds.

as a good deed generate good luck
bad deed give bad karma why bless 1 while u can bless 2? = D

god bless
Prince

Anonymous said...

Hi hrin i have registered for the event about a few day ago but still havent receive ur sms or email as in where should we gather b4 going. May i receive in ur sms/email as in where should we meet with the others and what time gather.

Hrin said...

Yup, I've sent out an email earlier this afternoon. Let me know if you got it yeah?

- Nick Lee - said...

hey hey! i replied ur mail alr! shud be able to go.. keep ur fingers crossed tat nth crops up at the last min k!

Anonymous said...

mmmm burger king O_o

Anonymous said...

Hrin is teh lurve~ Where do you come up with these ideas?? (kinda wish our CM would do something like that).

Was looking through the pictures. Hrin looks like a mommy =3 (no offense, you dont "look" old. but you look like a mommy) the kids are soo cute i could just eat them @_@

Once again, you ROCK. *worship*

Anonymous said...

I will summon spinelle on the day of event...



Joking!
Kudos to Hrin for holding this event! Banzai!!

Anonymous said...

I would be happy to go for this event but sadly, I've school on that day itself. =(

Enjoy guys and bring happiness to the kids ! =x

Anonymous said...

This is an absolute awesome event that I've totally inspired about you Hrin ^_^ . I wish I lived in Singapore so that I can participate to any outing events yer guys running on.Sadly, but still you're totally admirable.No wonder haven't seen you in a while in the game ;D Ahhh~ those kids are so needed a pinch from me! (I'm good in babysitting~trust me I love kids! ;p).Anyways, keep up the good work guys!Somehow words isn't enough,but yeah.. God is always be with you for your excellency!

Love&Care,
†Angelic†
xoxoxo

PrAnCeRs~ said...

O_O Its school hours!!! waaa.. I'm still 11 and afternoon. =[[ Hope it will be on sats and suns. wakakaka.

Prancers

╬NDRÈ╬ said...

hehe...ALL SO CUTE!!! I can think back thoses cutie frm Pri sch or Child Care come to my school :D
kekeke....Hrin come to my school lehsss.....Junyuan Sec BTW