Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The One About Selva's Voiceover

It's been a ghost town at the office and in Shenton Way (business district) these few days with just about everyone clearing their leave for the festive season.

Personally, I find that this is the best period to come to work. For once, there are minimal disruptions as I am trying to concentrate to finish up my work.

No more screams of "Hrin!! Sign this please!"

or... "Hrin! Can we have a meeting to discuss XXX matter now?"

or... "Hrin! Urgent urgent! Quick help resolve this!"

...You get the picture.

Gosh I even managed to squeeze in time to blog! Like right now! I'll be off to Taiwan for the New Year countdown tomorrow till the following week, so this will be my last blog entry for the year. Happy New Year in advance everyone!

Anyway, not to digress any further, re-visiting one of my previous blog entries about the voiceovers for the 3 new RNPCs in V3.0 The Zeia, the final voiceovers are finally in! But waaaay before that was finalized, Runner had originally sent me a voiceover audition done by Carly (the jazz singer who did Calyce voiceover) for Ania and Selva. This audition was done without any script or any knowledge of the characters' backgrounds. It was merely based on perceptions of Selva and Ania's names and looks:



After listening to it, I told Runner,"I think Ania is a very good fit for Carly. But Selva is all wrong. Can we find someone else for Selva instead?"

"I do have a few other candidates in mind, but it's going to cost you a lot more though," he replied.

"That's fine. It's just that Selva is a one of the most highly anticipated RNPCs and she really needs to have a good voiceover," I insisted. (Oh alright, I had my own personal agenda too, since Selva was my all-time-favorite RNPC and I do have an incredibly soft spot for her.)

A week later.

Runner tells me,"Hey I'm going to go with Carly for Selva's voiceover. You have to trust me. She re-did it and this time it is much better."

"NYUUUUUUU!!!! But she's so Ania, how can she be a Selva?" I sulked.

"This time, I asked her to do one of Anne Rice's vampires. You know? Like cold and detached and all," he explained.

"You mean like Akasha? Queen of the Damned? Bit Akasha is so... so... ANIA!!! Not Selva!" I wailed in despair.

"No, no not like Akasha, more like... you know? Generic vampires?"

"You mean like Lestat?"

"Well something like that, but not really either..."

"Then what talking you?! Let me hear it!" I demanded. NPNT. No (audition) Piece, No talk.

"I didn't record it down. We did it over the phone. But hey! Trust me! You will like it, I promise you!" he persists.

I sulked and growled. But at that time, I was simply too overwhelmingly busy preparing for the launch of Giovanni and the launch of V3.0 The Zeia - there were some things I needed to let go off for the greater good of the bigger picture. And this was one of them.

Another week later.

Runner comes to me with some mp3 files,"Here you are. Listen to it and tell me what you think."

A large part of me didn't really want to listen to it, since I didn't want to risk being disappointed. But ah well... just get the disappointment over and done with.

Much to my surprise, it actually turned out not too bad!



Either that, or maybe I was expecting the absolute worst and it didn't turn out as bad as I thought it would be. I'm too personally involved with Selva, so it's hard for me to make a rational judgement.

More importantly, what do you think of Selva's voiceover?

7 comments:

jtcc said...

I like it. Good job on being extra obsessive compulsive on this one.

Anonymous said...

not bad for the Selva's voiceover (2nd video). just that.. its sounds a lil bit like Ania (imho)in non-lower voice. if Carly really wanna do the voiceover, i suggest choose one of her voices for these 2 rnpcs. she did good job for both rnpcs though, it will be best if there different person for each rnpc so the voice can be distinguished clearly.

Anonymous said...

Really Nice Voice of Selva Especially on the part where she say's "If you blame anything, Blame the world" xD

Unknown said...

oooh nice! she sounds spunky, strong & feminine at the same time. great job!

Anonymous said...

this is much better than the ania voice imho. thank you for trying so hard :D

Anonymous said...

Wow~ Carly has an incredible voice and an accent I'd give anything to have. *o* (reminds me of UnderWorld movie)

I think her voice for Ania fits the best.

BUT the second recording for Selva was unbelievably mindblowing. Her calm, confident and strong-willed tone reminds me of her fiance. Her high pitch version for Selva sounds like a completely different person.
I think I would enjoy alternating my leader just to hear her smooth talk. ^^

Anonymous said...

Ania: The tone and timbre of the voice sounds good but looking at her pic, a bit of sexiness/sultriness would do wonders. Also, imagine how a Colombian or Brazilian would speak.

Selva: i find that the 2nd recording fits almost too well. More Kate Beckinsale frm the Underworld movies than Anne Rice type of vampire.

I also think that Carly be chosen for 1 of the voices only so that the voice would sound fresh.

Cheers